[NTLK] Newbie with memory card questions

Tony Kan tony.kan at clear.net.nz
Sat Mar 26 07:03:40 EDT 2011

Hi Dan

That's OK, I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong.  I note that the
Synchronetics site seems to imply both types (ie. with and without attribute
memory) are compatible with the Newton.  Can anyone else throw more light on
this question?

Cheers

Tony

[snip] if I remember correctly
attribute memory is required in Linear cards and I *think* ATA cards as
well.  To access without it you need better software or a custom driver.
 I do know for certain that someone on the list a while back had a card
that the newton couldn't recognize and PCBMan offered to take it a look
at it with his equipment.  He confirmed the CIS/attribute memory was
dead and hence the card was toast (at least for a newton).  PCBMan did
manage to pull the data off of the card and send it to the original card
owner.  I don't recall the card type but I *think* it was linear.  I may
be mistaken as I have not checked the archives but I do remember the
occasion quite clearly otherwise.

In short get a card with attribute memory/CIS or won't likely work in a
Newt.

-Dan
[snip]