[NTLK] voyager software development

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Fri Mar 4 14:45:54 EST 2011

On 04.03.2011, at 19:13, Bhavishya Goel wrote:

> So how does one get started with software development for voyager? What
> documents should I read? What development environment one can use? Where do
> I download stuff? etc etc

You can install BasiliskII and run MacOS with the original developer tools. You probably want to read everything that is available for the driver developers kit (DDK), but in the end, there is relatively little about the Voyager chip itself, because NewtonOS was not supposed to be bound to a specific hardware.

Beyond that, there is the ROM itself which - as part of the DDK - has much of the symbolic information still attached. You can use a disassembler to read the code.

You can also debug the live system when running Einstein. It has a built-in debugger window called "Monitor", which is available on the current SVN version of Einstein for OS X. You can set breakpoints and view memory. Very nice.

Is that for serial port redirection?

 - Matthias