[NTLK] Newbie with a whole bunch of Y2010 patch questions

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Sat Jul 23 12:46:00 EDT 2011

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 10:54 am Rusty Miles wrote:

> I can't believe there's nobody out
> there that can shed some light on
> this.

I'm back online after having to work 3 weeks straight since before the 4th of July. Summer in Tahoe can be non-stop.

I'm reviewing some of the answers to this thread and I will make some corrections and/or clarifications to what may have already been said.

> 5. Is this package beamable? (so
> that I can transfer it to my Newton
> with the bad interconnect port)

Somebody said, "No." and they are only partially correct.

A ROM update package can be beamed to another Newton and subsequently Installed. It must first be downloaded to the Inbox from the Internet or by some other means. This is how the Lending Card solution solves the Bootstrap problem. See the readme here:

<http://www.newted.org/raparker/Y2010/readme.html>

> 4. I finally realized that the
> "717260" referred to the NOS/ROM
> version.  Since this is a ROM
> patch, once the patch is installed
> can I remove the package file from
> my Newton?

Yes. This is where the '717260 Install Override.pkg' or the 'PatchRemover-000000.zip' would be used. The 717260 Override will replace The 711000 (or whatever ROM Patch is installed with a 717260 ROM, hence Override. The Patch remover will remove any Patch from your Newton thereby reseting it to factory (i.e. no patch installed).

Active ROM Patches are stored in a special (non-visible) location on the Newton. Any ROM package will override another. Obviously this is model specific. Always override your ROM with the latest Apple version designed for your specific Newton. These are available on UNNA.org

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm Rusty Miles wrote:

> I'm guessing the only way to get
> the patch to my "crippled"
> Newton would be to get it set up
> with a network connection first
> then.

If you can not connect to the Internet, you are Bootstrapped. A Lender Card will solve this problem.

I can assist with a Lender Card, If you wish. I have sent all my spare cards out (to-date) so I will need a source for a spare Flash Card or two.

Hope this helps…

Ron
--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM