[NTLK] connecting a Newton MP2000/2100 question

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Tue Jul 5 02:43:34 EDT 2011

Hi Todd

I believe you have three options for connection.
1. serial to serial or serial to USB/serial adapter
2. ethernet wired
3. ethernet wifi

Option 1.
The  2x00 Newton does not have a serial port so you will need to
provide one or its equivalent.  Cable you mention will provide serial
connector appropriate for PC.  this will require adapter for Mac
serial port and serial cable. It will also connect to Keyspan Serial/
USB adapter USA-19HS with driver for Mac/PC.  Add serial port to
Newton with SER-001 card (very rare) and serial cable to connect to
older Mac or Keyspan USA28X Serial/USB adapter with driver for Mac and
serial cable.  Add USB port to Newton with Newtonsales USB card with
driver for Mac/PC.
Once serial connection is established the Newton will connect to
computer running NCU or NCX via the Dock application.

Options 2 and 3 will require compatible card in Newton and setup as
described by Frank Gruendel
<http://www.pda-soft.de/body_ethernetconnectivity.html>
read carefully.
first 4 are required, then necessary driver/s for your card.
For OS X mac you will need NCX installed
<http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/connection/> with (Dock_TCP-1.2) or
(EthernetDock) packages installed on Newton.
Hopefully required newton packages are on card you have.

Email is doable via ethernet provided host does not require SSL or
HTTPS login.
several browsers exist.  Courier is text only and reasonably fast,
NewtsCape is slow but works with most sites and NetHopper a bit faster
but difficulties with some sites.

Also search archives for Personal web sharing and for specifics
related to any of above.

Good luck
Woody

Please keep further inquiries on list so that I or others more
knowledgeable can help you.