[NTLK] FW: iFixit: Apple ¹ s Diabolical Plan to Screw Your iPhone

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sat Jan 22 07:08:28 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Lord Groundhog
<LordGroundhog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Customers who liberate themselves from the need for expensive and
> time-wasting submissions of equipment to Apple's repair programme for easy,
> safe, routine maintenance tasks like changing an iPhone's battery or
> removing dust curls from around a computer's fan?  Or is Steve becoming
> paranoid about spies -- spies and WRECKERS who will sneak into brazillians
> of Macs and Apple devices while they're still on the warehouse shelves to
> saboutage them?  It just seems a bit over-the-top to me.
>
>From the top, yes. But it can only be a matter of time, before
resourceful people work around these (and it's already happened), and
Apple has to know this--and they do. Also, it has to be obvious from
the get-go, that those small companies who "compete" with Apple in
repairing these devices will also have ways around this. Therefore, it
cannot be seen to be a blanket attempt by Apple to make opening their
equipment impossible. Nothing is impossible--sometimes only more
difficult and/or expensive. I know when I bought a stumpy antenna for
my Treo 650, it came with a tiny torx screwdriver to open my Palm. Any
company now dealing with replacement batteries for the iPhone will
likely have to provide them. Is this all so cruel and evil? Not
hardly. Why do it then? Well, having seen people try, without any
experience and knowledge, to crack their iPhone, but with disastrous
effect, I can see why Apple would change these screws, and, in fact, I
have been rather surprised since the day I got my iPhone to see
Phillips head screws in there! Such screws scream "open me"--pad plan
for something as small and internally fragile as the iPhone. Is Apple
going too far? Only time alone will tell. Frankly, I think this has
gotten far more negative press than it really deserves, and far more
vitriol than necessary (IMO, _any_ vitriol is too much on this issue).

Neal already mentioned the potential danger of the batteries, which
alone--as a physical reminder to technicians handling these things,
that behind these screws is a potential hazard of a certain king--may
have been sufficient in Apple's collective mind as a
justification--and the fact that it creates an extra roadblock to
casual hacking is a bonus.

I don't understand this desire--yeah, giddy eagerness--to attribute in
everything Apple does, always the absolute worst of all possible
explanations--including ones dreamed up by feverish minds of those
whose hatred for all things Apple has caused brain fevers creating the
worst of delusions.... Why are these always the first and loudest???
What is extra ironic about this is that such people are those involved
in working in an industry which is supposed to be one devoid of such
shallow, human emotions (think Spock here)... Go figure...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland