[NTLK] FW: iFixit: Apple ¹ s Diabolical Plan to Screw Your iPhone

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 06:39:13 EST 2011

~~~ On 2011/01/22 05:53, J.M. Heinrichs at minicapt1 at mac.com wrote ~~~

> Certainly; and if you wish to take apart your Apple product, use the proper
> tools. Some people think a set of slip-jaw pliers are an adequate substitute
> for a set of box-end wrenches, but it isn't true. It is also possible to
> remove a nut from a bolt with a cold chisel; it becomes necessary if one has
> had recourse to those pliers in the past. Apple has finally realised that the
> use of the Phillips-head screw as a fastener detracts from the overall quality
> of it's product. If it is too much for one to handle. buy a Dell product; or
> Gateway.

John,  I know you're right about what "some people" think and do when it
comes to hardware disassembly.  I sometimes used to let those butchers talk
me into trying to repair the mess they made.  Now I just say, "Wow!  That's
some mess!  I think the replacement with a comparable machine is more
expensive now" just because I'm getting older and crankier about people
expecting me to fix that kind of thing now.

But I'm not talking here about using proper tools to "peel an Apple", I'm
talking about Apple trying to find a set of tools that only their techs
(their 'the-turn-around-on-your-machine-will-be-at-least-a-week-and
-probably-longer-now-that-we've-made-it-impossible-to-do- anything-
yourself' techs) have.  I'm talking about Apple effectively locking their
machines and treating people who buy their products like burglars.  And in
particular, I'm talking about them wanting to keep their customers from
doing even easy, routine maintenance.  This isn't like Ford telling me not
to mess with the electronic ignition system in my car because it's too
specialized, it's like Ford telling me I can't change the battery, top up
the coolant or change my oil, and locking down the hood to make sure I don't
try.

Just my two tiny and almost worthless copper coins of the currency of your
choice.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke