[NTLK] Upgrade ram board for 2000

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Sun Feb 27 12:00:47 EST 2011

Welcome to the Newton world.  You should be able to to do quite a bit
with your Newton as it is, but the 1 mg system ram and 4 mg storage
ram is a set up for problems.  The problem is simply a system shutdown
when you ask the Newton to do more than it has the RAM to do.  In my
case it was having too man apps installed and going from icon view to
list view in the Extras drawer.  Even the 2100 can be overloaded,
editing a very large document like a 600 page book with too many
packages installed can do it.  There are freeze utilities which can
freeze unused applications and extensions.  A separate issue is 6100
error which occurs on both I believe. Click on Newtontalk link at
bottom of email, select archives, select searchable archives and
search '2100 upgrade' for some discussion.

Your upgrade options are to find the a 2100 logic board  and swap
logic boards, easy.
Franks site <http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html>
See also <http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple-Tablet-Teardown/2153/1>
Find the two ram chips which replace the two on your 2000 logic board
and swap them, very difficult.  You will find them under the ROM board.

Good luck
Woody