[NTLK] NewtonOS ROM Source Code

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:09:31 EST 2011

~~~ On 2011/02/14 20:23, Forrest at newtonphoenix at mindspring.com wrote ~~~

> Twice I've taken my MP2100 to my local App (once to look at an iPhone and take
> notes...once to go back and buy one and refer to those notes)...both times
> Apple sales staff came up and were kind of in awe, honestly...they literally
> asked if they could touch it and play around with it. One even said that
> knowing about the Newton was part of some sort of specialized training Apple
> was offering.
>
> Whether this translates to management and above is admittedly a good question.

Yep.  Forrest, this has been my experience too, in Apple Stores in the USA,
the UK and on mainland Europe.  The clerk sees me taking notes or referring
to something, decides to stop trying to look secretly and asks, "What is
that?"  Occasionally the person does know about Newtons but not often.  So I
do a brief show-and-tell.  The response is pretty much always the same:  the
mouth gapes, the person says "Wow!" or his equivalent, and asks to try it.

A couple of times in the past I've written about some of these experiences.
And it's not just Apple stores:  I get it in all sorts of places when I go
shopping for tech-stuff.  And even in Apple stores, people often ask me,
"But why did they stop making this?"  Sometimes someone will comment that
they reckon the Newton is too old to do things like Bluetooth, synching with
computers, do e-mail and so on, and when I explain that it was designed back
in the '90s and tell them what it could do originally plus what the
tech-types in our community have added to it, they just look at me with
astonishment.  As one guy said, "But if a bunch of guys in a user group can
do that much to keep your Newton up-to-date, imagine what Apple could've
done?  How come all this cool stuff isn't in my iPad?"

Yeah, how come?  Give me an iPad that can also do the stuff that my
14-year-old Newton does.  Until then, an iPad is a cool thing that does some
fun stuff, but my Newton?  It brings my work alive and keeps my life
working.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke