[NTLK] IPv4 v IPv6

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Feb 2 19:51:35 EST 2011

Excellent answer, Ed!

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Ed Kummel <tech_ed at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now, what will really start to screw things up is when new devices are developed that only understand IPv6...and you attempt to accomodate them inside your network...so now your LAN has to DHCP IPv4 *AND* IPv6 IPs. Not looking forward to this event!

Many modern routers already support this. For example, Apple's AirPort
Extreme Base Stations have supported IPv6 for quite some time and can
pass that traffic through without going through NAT. Apple's MobileMe
"Back to my Mac" feature uses IPv6 to help alleviate NAT issues, IIRC.

Morgan
---
http://www.makkintosshu.com/
http://rikuwoiku.com/