[NTLK] A lot of Newton questions. Mail, PIM and more

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Dec 23 13:09:27 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Warren Ockrassa <wockrassa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2011, at 11:02, Vladislav Korotnev <vladkorotnev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> • Is it possible to use Gmail IMAP on the Newton? Any workarounds?
>
> If IMAP is usable at all on a Newton, gmail's should work as well as any other. Otherwise you might have to look into using POP, and locating a POP client for the Newton.

IMAP is supported using Simon Bell's Mail V
<http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/mailv/index.html>, but the problem
lies in the lack of SSL support under Newton OS. Unfortunately, GMail
requires SSL for both receiving (IMAP or POP) & sending (SMTP).

I have not explored the alternatives much, but I believe you'd have to
forward your Gmail account (or set up a rule to forward select
messages) to a POP or IMAP account that doesn't require SSL. I believe
<http://fastmail.fm/> still supports non-SSL connections, although
it's not advised.

Morgan
---