[NTLK] Beaming from Newton to Mac?

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:11:23 EST 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Tim Chaten wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has hacked a way yet to beam files from a Newton to a Mac. Is this impossible? What pieces are needed to make this happen?
>
> Thanks!
> Tim

Beaming between a Newton and Mac only worked in OS 9 or earlier using the IrDA Package Installer. I never used but the description says it was limited to only transferring packages to the Newton.

Eckhart Köppen has written an OBEX stack called Neo for the Newton that included IrDA support. I have tested it with a Windows XP computer, but the connection work less than 2 out of 3 trues (it may be less). I have never looked for a IrDA application for OS X because none of my Macs have the port. I believe Neo is limited to only being able to transfer files the IC/VC understands (another application written by Eckart).

IrDA Package Installer: <http://www.unna.org/unnasearch/entry.php?pkey=12688>
Neo: <http://40hz.org/Pages/Neo>

-Tony Morrow