[NTLK] Very bare-bones note package to play with

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:58:32 EST 2011

By very bare bones, I mean it. It doesn't save, it doesn't let you set
fonts or anything, and I'm having a bit of a hassle setting it up to
respond appropriately to rotation on my MP120. (The rotation seems to
work fine on Einstein.)

Right now it responds to the scroll arrows, and accepts handwritten
text. I have no plans to set it up to use an onscreen keyboard, though
I can't see why it wouldn't be usable on an eMate once it's all done.

I do intend to get it behaving intelligently with the caret, and to
keep the caret centered in the text input view as more is added. I
believe I should start with the caret's y location onscreen at the
middle of the text view, and basically keep the caret there as text is
added.

For the scrolling, the plan is to determine the line height of the
typeface being used, and scroll up/down by one line at a time. When
handwriting is being added, the plan is to always keep the caret as
close to y-center as possible to allow room for more writing beneath.

The space to the left of the text view is where all the controls will
go (filing, probably routing to export and import text, setting the
typeface, etc). I also want to set it up so that space can be moved to
the right. My rationale for having it there at all is that it
represents dead space anyway, since that's where my hand rests when
I'm writing on the pad - I'm left handed, which is why it is where it
is right now. Obviously most users will want it on the right!

I deliberately removed the status bar, at least for now - I'm not
convinced I need it, but if anyone thinks it's necessary, please do
let me know why (apart from its being standard on the screen; I'm more
interested in real estate than I am in providing UI chrome if it's not
actually necessary).

Odds are good that the rotate and close buttons will move from where
they are, eventually, since they're not as important on a day-to-day
basis as, say, filing or setting typefaces and sizes.

A brief aside about the Apple manuals for NewtonScript: The
documentation is probably some of the least-informative I've ever
encountered, so getting this much functionality in one evening
required extensive use of a thesaurus of profanity.

Anyway, anyone who wants to play around a little, feel free to do so.
Feedback is welcome, though at the moment there isn't much to offer
feedback on...

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com