[NTLK] Notepad that isn't for NOS

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Dec 4 09:15:28 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Warren Ockrassa <wockrassa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After consulting the script and programming references, it looks
>> feasible. Setting the scroll position on a view can be done, so
>> rolling up text is possible.
>
> Is my memory not serving me correctly, but I thought the Notepad _did_
> autoscroll the screen when you got to the end, and you were writing a
> lot... I seem to recall it doing that--but maybe that was just in the
> Outline stationery? I guess I need to dig out some batteries...

It does (at least under OS 2.1), but you have to actually get somewhat
close to the end of the last line, which can be hard to do when you're
writing fast and you've filled the rest of the screen with text and
don't have room to write anymore. What makes it more awkward is when
it does auto-scroll it performs a full page scroll so you generally
only get the last line you were working on. It'd be more convenient
for editing & writing if it only scrolled about a 1/2 screen at a time
(for me, at least).

So, I'm all for Warren's typewriter-like editor for Newton. Sounds
like a great addition and I agree it sounds feasible. Plus, I always
like to hear of _new_ packages being developed (or concepts being
thought up)!

Morgan
---
http://makkintosshu.com/