[NTLK] Notepad that isn't for NOS

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 22:12:47 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Joseph Reilly <Reilly001os at aol.com> wrote:
> Tony already mentioned two to the three pkgs I was talking about (Pauls big notes and noteslider)
> the third is free too and is here:
>
> StandAlone's big notes
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/notes_enhancements/BigNotes

Thanks! I'd been thinking that was payware, but it appears not.

> And heres the stationary stuff on unna:
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/stationary
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/applications/StationaryConstructionKit1.0

That kit looks like it might be interesting...

> Never seen the "typewriter" functionality you mentioned on a newton.

I was afraid of that. It might be something no one ever thought of, or
it might be too processor intensive, at least for the 1x0 models. (I
ended up with two MP120s because I forgot my Prime Directive in
bidding on eBay - don't bid on an item if you've already got another
bid on an item that's ending sooner. On the plus side, the second
MP120 I picked up was about $30, and is so obscenely new-looking that
I'm fairly sure it's still on its first internal backup battery. It
still had the 'Newton OS 2.0!' sticker on the lid.)

Coding something like an auto-scroll or typewriter effect might be
easy, or it might not. I think it depends on whether the Newton OS
sends a message when it's finished converting handwriting to text. If
NOS actually does that, the trick would then be to figure out where in
the view the bottommost line of text was, and adjusting the scroll
position to make room for more writing as necessary.

There are other scripting languages I've used that provide hooks
similar to that (though with typing, not writing, of course), and from
what I can tell NS has about six hillion jillion skillion functions -
I counted them - so it might be buried in there someplace and it's
just there for the digging out.

I'm stuck with the nagging question, though: If what I have in mind is
feasible, why does it seem that no one ever did it?

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com