[NTLK] NewTNG 3.0

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:47:45 EST 2011

~~~ On 2011/11/30 19:16, Matthias Melcher at mm at matthiasm.com wrote ~~~

> Microsoft licensed half of the HWR from the authors, just as Apple did back
> then. It's not an Apple invention IIRC.

Thanks for the explanation.  But it makes me wonder:  do you mean that this
terrific HWR is based on only *half* the original programming?  Now my
curiosity is rampant.

>> One other thing:  most of us have the experience of discovering 3rd party
>> software                        ...                          At what point
>> does that consideration come into this process?
>
> Yes, the Newton emulator is very very close to the original. Almost all
> original software should just work. A hardware rebuild would of course be even
> closer, but even there would be compromises.
>
> Do you have any software that does not run on Einstein (missing serial port
> aside)?

Ah, well, it's confession time.  I'm one of the people who hasn't yet tried
running Einstein on anything.  First, because I don't have anything I could
call an Einstein-worthy device; second, because I've been waiting for
everything -- hardware and software -- to reach a point where the demands on
my time for installation, trouble-shooting, set-up tweaking and final
switch-over, will be minimal; and third, my present Newton experience feels
so perfect that I'm afraid of a productivity hit if I have to spend too much
time fiddling.  This would be a really bad time for me to have so much as a
stutter in my day-to-day work and what passes for the rest of my life:  my
main Newton is what keeps it all from falling to bits.

So I've been holding off, hoping that the time would come when some basic
hardware that isn't going to vanish next season appears, and when Einstein
is closer to the point when it's going to be as good as, or maybe better
than, NOS.

That's what is behind my various uninformed questions about Einstein from
time to time.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke