[NTLK] Looking for a Bluetooth card

Tony Douglas tonyisyourpal at netscape.net
Tue Aug 30 15:29:15 EDT 2011

Hi

This long blog (with hopefully helpful pictures) here ==> http://tonyisyourpal.blogspot.com/2010/02/newton-and-e5830-long.html describes how I got things to work with a Huawei E5830. I now have an E585 which was much easier to set up, as the web based configuration pages worked fine - no Windows required.

The main things to note are to make sure your WEP network is set up as an "Open" network, not a "Shared" one, and to make sure your keys match at each end. This kept me out of wifi with the Newton until I cottoned on it by accident one day.

At home I have a separate segment with 128-bit WEP and MAC filtering just for the Newton. Everything else is on WPA2. It's all hackable, if someone is utterly determined to do it. (Legally it's probably enough to say "I took precautions, I put on encryption, I put on filtering - a hacker couldn't have used my network 'accidentally'... although IANAL)

I have a couple of Bluetooth cards as well, just for fun, and that seems to work quite well once you've got everything installed and ticking along.

Hope it helps

- Tony