[NTLK] eMate Hinge Repair Questions

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Wed Aug 24 13:46:36 EDT 2011

Removing the backlight and speaker  wires is just not such a big
deal.  Quite unlike removing a component from a logic board that is
soldered through or is delicate in some other way.

No solder removal is necessary.  They are surface soldered in a small
pool of solder on a surface trace.  A slight pull on wire while
touching the hot  solder pencil to exposed wire and it releases
instantly.  Lifting almost no solder except for a slightly tinned to
wire.  Re-soldering is nearly as simple often requiring no additional
solder other than that used to tin the iron/pencil.

The risk is in lingering over it and overheating the trace causing it
to lift.  I've hosted an emate hinge repair group of six first timers
and every one succeeded.

Just my 2 cents

Woody