[NTLK] Shotlogger for Newton

Marker Karahadian mkarahadian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:17:27 EDT 2011

I had this product in rental inventory at Plus 8 Video in the 90's. We rented it with video cameras as a script assistant's tool and a way to preconfigure shot lists for an editor.  It was made for the MP 120 originally.

This product is a hardware/software combo. It tags shots as you shoot video using professional video cameras with industry standard Time Code.  Time Code is the standard 50+ year old technology that tags every recorded frame with a digital word consisting of HH:MM:SS:FR - in other words, time plus a frame number. "Time" is arbitrary in that it can either be realtime, free running arbitrary timing or time of tape [i.e. counter that ascends only when you record.]

The Shotlogger software is useless without its transmitter and PCMCIA receiver.  The simple transmitter attaches to any SMPTE Time Code source and the receiver feeds that stream of code numbers to the Shotlogger software.  As the user 'marks-in' and marks-out' the start and stop of the shot, a simple edit list is updated and additional values in the pulldown menus can be added as metadata.  When the footage was ready to be ingested into a Mac [OS 7] with AVID edit software, the list from the Shotlogger would automate the process, saving loads of time.

This product was way ahead of its time.  Current data gathering software in the motion picture industry is hardly ahead of this simple program conceptually.  The creator was a video professional.  He made it for his own use and then commercialized it.  I do not believe he made any money.  When the Newton was canceled, I called him to encourage him to port it to the PalmOS, but he was reluctant to invest the time and money.

If you are interested, take a look at my company's new product and you will find it is like Shotlogger on steroids.

www.cineflow.com

btw, the case is worth at least $45.

Marker Karahadian
CEO Cineflow Corp