[NTLK] Out of the loop a while and Mail V

Hauke Fath hauke at Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE
Sun Aug 14 11:12:12 EDT 2011

At 21:56 Uhr -0700 13.8.2011, Scott Hoffman wrote:

[email on Newton 2k]

>      I'm trying to get a new GMX email account set up just for my
>Newtontalk membership but can't seem to get that to cooperate with Mail V.
>I keep getting a "NO2 Authentication Failure" error.  I input my password
>correctly... have they just upgraded GMX rendering it unusable to Newton
>folk?

Hi Scott,

details would be helpful: pop3 or imap, what about smtp? Details of your
configuration?

As has already been pointed out, providers are increasingly moving towards
services that use SSL, since traditional pop3 and imap transmit passwords
in the open. And there seems to be no lightweight (open source) alternative
to OpenSSL, nor much incentive of coming up with one.

>      As an aside, anyone running OS 9 and using Eudora for mail?  I can't
>seem to get mine up and running.

Again, details would be helpful - the provider's offering, your setup and
the problems and error messages you run into. Eudora is usually quite
helpful in its messages.

Do you have the last Eudora version that runs on 9.1 (Eudora 6.1, IIRC)?
Earlier versions had issues with SSL connections.

Plus, your provider may use server SSL certificates derived from root
certificates that were not included with 6.1, and you may have to download
and manually import the root certificate. But then, Eudora was not really
enforcing ssl security, anyway.

>  Not a huge deal if not, as it was more
>of just an experiment.  What's another decent mail client for OS 9?

There is Classilla, an attempt to bring (some) current Mozilla technology
to System 9. The browser comes with the mail and usenet news client that
later was split out as Thunderbird.

HTH,
	hauke