[NTLK] Storage card specifications

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Fri Apr 8 12:17:20 EDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 4:04 AM, Matej Horvat wrote:
> --- On Thu, 4/7/11, Dan  wrote:
>> The cards above were actually made by Apple for
>> Newtons.  They can all
>> write to 12v cards.  Emates can only use 5v or 3v
>> cards.  Newton 2.0 can
>> use 12v, 5v, and 3v cards (with the exception of emates
>> which I just
>> mentioned).  Newton 1.x can only use 12v write Flash
>> cards.
>
> How is this OS-specific? You might be referring to the two "worlds" of Newton hardware, but remember the MP120 can run both 1.3 and 2.0, so is it limited to 12V or not?
>
> -Matej Horvat

The linear flash driver in NOS 1.3 does not know how to use the lower
voltage cards (aka it reads the attribute memory and decides it can't
use the card).  While the hardware technically CAN use 5v write (as the
120 was first 1.3 then upgraded to NOS 2.0 which you pointed out), 1.3
does not know what to make of these other cards so it errors on the side
of caution and says "sorry I don't know how to use this card"

So yes 1.x NOS is limited to 12v only cards.  Unless one changes the
attribute memory so that they Newton realizes that it can use it.  And
it is to my understanding (via PCB Man) that this can only be done with
special equipment.  Perhaps this change can be requested from the
manufacturer, but doubtful if you are ordering small lots.

-Dan