[NTLK] OT: was C64 on app store? now Is IBM evil?

Tony Douglas tonyisyourpal at netscape.net
Wed Sep 22 16:26:04 EDT 2010

I feel a wave of reminiscing coming on .. !

Started off in '82 with a Sinclair ZX81 with the wobbly old 16K (count 'em !) RAM pack. How we laughed as one over-excitable press of the punch-sensitive membrane keyboard wobbled the RAM pack off the bus connector and lost an hour's worth of typed in program... The ultimate ZX81 high was when some lunatic worked out how to make a ZX81 make sound. The ZX81's main advance on its predecessor the ZX80 was that the 81 had two modes - fast and slow. In "fast" mode, it switched the display off to spend all the CPU time running code. Said lunatic worked out that if you turned up the volume on the television set and switched the the 81 in and out of "fast" mode, you could make the television buzz something approaching musical notes, and wrote a little program that would turn the ZX81 and television set into the most bizarre "synthesiser" of all time. Madness.

I remember going "cor !" when someone turned up at school with one of the very first ZX Spectrums that made it out to customers; this was the real game changing moment for the UK, as the real home competition was between the Spectrum and the Commodore 64 (Vic20s being a bit cheap'n'nasty and compared to ZX81s, and BBC Model Bs only being for "posh" kids with too much money - in reality we were just jealous that they had Elite way before we did !)

I think the US got the ZX81 as the Timex Sinclair 1000, and the Spectrum as the Timex Sinclair 2000 ? (All the Sinclair machines in the UK used to be assmbled at Timex's plant in Dundee here in Scotland, which probably explains that tie-up.)

After a brief detour via the Enterprise 64 (an under-appreciated near miss home computer) and the Sinclair QL (much much better than people really gave it credit for at the time), I shored up with a Commodore Amiga 1000, which I admit to gawping at open mouthed when I first got it up and running (multi tasking ! lots of colours ! really detailed graphics ! speech ! decent sound ! real development tools ! blimey !!) Later I got an Amiga 1200, but while it was a leap ahead of the A1000, it was nothing compared to the leap from the early home computers to the A1000.

After that, and some choice encounters with such delights as DEC's VAX-11/750 & 780 with various versions of VMS & Ultrix, PDP-11s and Olivettis running various Unixes, various Sun-2 and Sun-3 workstations, a Symbolics LISP Machine (less than affectionately renamed the "Shambolics"), I wound up dealing with IBM big iron.

What a nightmare.

We had a 4361 mainframe, running VM/SP release 5, VM/CMS release 5. We had two strings of five disks, each the size of an old fashioned spin drier unit, offering either 558Mb (ooo!) or 712Mb (wow!) of disk space. We had two laser printers (one a cold fusion and one a hot fusion), an impact printer and four 0.5 inch tape drives, for which perishing rubber hoses in the vacuum paths were a constant worry. The 3270 console had a big red STOP button on the keyboard, and boy it meant it - you pressed STOP, and everything ... well, it really did stop. Which was fine, but it would literally take a full business day to get the thing back up and running if you had to IML then IPL the contemptible thing. The field engineer had his own private room on site, complete with workbench, lathe and various power tools, all of which would prove necessary to keep this thing running.

But that was as nothing compared to dealing with IBM, because IBM knew they had you right over a barrel with this kit. There was no real choice for anything; your hardware came from IBM, your OS came from IBM, your software came from IBM (and you rented it by the month), your support came from IBM... You could get third party help from consultants, but they would be both expensive and ok'd by IBM - so basically, IBM pretty much ran your world and you just fitted in with it, whether you particularly liked it or not. No wonder we all jumped on the open systems bandwagon as soon as we could, simply to explore the wonderful world of *choice*.

And to me, this is where the Apple/IBM comparisons come in. Apple, for whatever reason (some say good because Apple wants to provide a consistently excellent all round user experience, some say bad because Apple wants to run your whole world for their profit) are headed down that route where they control the hardware you can use, the operating system you can use, and increasingly the applications you can use on top of it - in pretty much the same way IBM used to run your mainframe world top to bottom. Some folks (who want things to "just work") will probably rub along quite happily with that. Those who prefer to choose more for themselves are going to get pretty tired pretty quickly of bumping into Apple's rules and regulations, and if Apple aren't careful they may well reap the same kind of whirlwind IBM did in the early 90s.

(Oh, and to finish the story off, after a gap of several years, for a while we went back to buying IBM kit for running Unix-based applications using AIX. Things really hadn't changed in dealing with IBM all that much in the intervening years !)

And after all that, the two computing devices I have most fondness for are probably my Amiga 1000 (which I still have) and ... yep, my MP2000U, which still gets used every day, and is still subject to "what's that ? ... wow !" conversations - I've even been stopped in train stations by people asking to take photographs of it ...

Nostalgia. It ain't what it used to be.

- Tony