[NTLK] Newton Press runs in Wine

Abraham Limpo abraham at familialimpo.net
Thu Sep 16 03:20:26 EDT 2010

Sadly, Wine has a long story about getting to recognize correctly the serial
ports you have exposed, especially if they are USB devices.

You can try the following, but I cannot assure you will succeed:

   - Try to purchase a USB to PC serial cable, as you're installing the PC
   version. Wine may have more luck trying to detect the serial port if it is a
   PC port. Take a look at this page
   http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/misc-things-to-configure . The
   instructions are for linux and I have no mac os X to try to replicate the
   configuration, but maybe some user can point to the equivalent in Mac OS X
   command line jargon...
   - Instead of emulating a windows machine, why not try Basilisk II (a
   68x00 emulator), install mac os 7.5.3 and the utilities? I remember having
   succeed in syncing my newton 130  3 or 4 years ago under linux with
   basilisk. The aplication has some sort of serial emulation and will try to
   detect any serial port you have configured under Mac OS X.

Cheers,
Abraham