[NTLK] (Slightly OT) External Newton keyboard and iPad?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon Sep 6 10:08:30 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Gary McQueen <GMMcQueen at netscape.ca> wrote:

> Not sure how well it would work.  I've tried connecting Newton keyboards
> as USB devices, via Keyspan and Entrega adapters, to a couple of Macs;
> so far no luck.

You'd need drivers for it to work as there are no default or generic
drivers for serial keyboards built-in. For pre-Mac OS X w/built-in
serial ports, you can use NKE (Newton Keyboard Enabler), but you'll
have to get your hands dirty w/ResEdit to configure it:

<http://www.sarnau.info/software:newton_keyboard_enabler>

The sourcecode is available, so I'm sure that someone could port it to
Mac OS X. From there, it's probably a hop, a skip, and a jump to make
it work on a jailbroken iPhone.

Morgan
---
http://www.makkintosshu.com/