[NTLK] pretty interesting

Michael Grossman ceratoph at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Fri Sep 3 13:58:40 EDT 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, James Fraser wrote:

> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 04:15:56 -0700 (PDT)
> From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com>
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] pretty interesting
>
> Anyway, my point is that I understand your frustration.  It's just that
> Apple has a reason for doing what they do, even if that reason is one
> you and I don't happen to agree with.  We'll see if the market continues
> to support Apple's way of doing things, or if consumers get tired of
> buying into their philosophy and decide that other companies are more
> worthy of getting their hard-earned dough.  I know that sounds wildly
> improbable right now, but these things have a funny way of changing.

In 1999, it seemed wildly improbably that "beleagered" Apple Computers
would ever catch up with Microsoft. Or that PC software would ever sink to
the crap-tacular nadir of Windows Vista + bundleware du jour. In 1985, it
seemed very unlikely that Microsoft, the people who stuck BASIC in the ROM
of everybody's favorite 8-bit microcomputer, would be under attack for
taking over the world in the late 90s. I think companies (and
countries/civilizations/economies) oscillate in great boom-bust cycles
because positive feedback quickly exhausts whatever energy/money/resource
is feeding it. The environmental and human cost of these cycles is dumped
on future generations, as easy accessible energy becomes increasingly
scarce. Err, getting a little off topic here...sorry..

I buy Apple products because I want a computer and walkman that just works
for media consumption. I also dual boot linux on my macbook because it is
fun to tweak, configurate, customise, and do things MY WAY. However,
rugged individuality issues aside, it is a morally neutral fact of life
that I'm not going to be able to watch netflix movies or have a convenient
App store, or EASY BOOTABLE BACKUPS on Linux. I also appreciate very much
how Apple has not hog-tied my music collection with DRM; I have mp3s,
aacs, wmas, oggs--some even from the old days of Napster--and they all
play in Linux and Snow Leopard. I'll put up with the walled garden as long
as I can dig under the fence like an armadillo and visit the neighbors'
weedy but fun Linux gardens.

A funny thing about Apple hardware: I can't throw it out or even sell it
on eBay. My first white-box 486 is probably scrap metal in Bangladesh or
Mexico by now.(Probably as e-waste, not recycled.) But the death-clicking
duo dock, which was old 10 years ago, still sits in the closet awaiting
repair. I regretted selling my Pismo so much that after a few years I
bought a new old one!