[NTLK] wireless connectivity

Michael Grossman ceratoph at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Fri Sep 3 13:12:53 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 02:51:49 +0200
> From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk at pda-soft.de>
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] wireless connectivity
>
>> I sometimes wonder whether WPA/WEP encryption are really necessary for
>> home networking. My wireless signal is pretty severely attenuated by the
>
> The following is a true story. It happened to one of my oldest and dearest friends.
>
> One morning the door bell rings. He opens the door and finds a couple of policemen at his doorstep.
> They enter, confiscate his computer and leave.

Well, this is terrible! I think I'm going back to wires. I wonder what is
the state of civil liberties in Germany, that this could happen? (I am in
no way bragging the USA is better! Far from it...I envy your country's
transportation system and solar energy intiatives. One might think
Florida, with so much more sun and a mild climate, would do similar
things....) Something like this never occurred to me. I wonder if the
threat of such activities could spawn a whole internet liability insurance
industry. I can imagine our blood-suckers hard at work on such a scheme in
the US , considering our disastrous health insurance which is,
essentially, a corporate protection racket.

I do not NEED to browse USENET and email on the sofa with an ipod touch or
newton. I think I'm going to start getting out more and just use wireless
in cafes. No doubt the Newton will get me some funny looks!

Thanks for the information and I hope your friend was able to get on with
life after such a terrible experience.