[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay (Cosmo Kain)

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Wed Sep 1 17:41:06 EDT 2010

In all my years of following Newtontalk I have never heard of anyone who has had
a broken ribbon cable with a unit with the hinge fix applied.

He is probably correct regarding the strength of the hinge because there maybe
less thread engaged in the whole but usually these things have a safety margin
built in.  From our collective experience it looks like the hinge fix falls
within this margin.

Open to correction here, so chime in anyone who has found information that
proves me wrong.

[snip]

> "The hinge fix is very much misunderstood. All emates will have the
> hinge spring, give at some time. The "hinge fix" does not prevent
> this, it just prolongs it. Its a flaw in the design that can not be
> corrected. Some people say that if you put a washer over the nut,
> that it will fix it. Whoever came up with that idea is no metal giant
> because if you look at the structure of the hinge, if anything, you
> will reduce the holding power of the nut by putting in the washer and
> thus, reducing the hinge life"

[snip]

He's being evasive.  He has something to hide.  He probably hasn't done it and
doesn't want to cause you anymore distress in case you demand a refund or give
him bad feedback on eBay.  Unfortunately by not being upfront with you he has
already damaged his reputation with you anyway.

[snip]

> Why can't the ebay seller tell me yes or no if he has performed the
> hinge fix it's like he is avoiding the question I have asked him (I
> have sent him another message) on the particular unit he has sent me?
> I was very polite and I said if he has not, I will obviously have to
> get someone to do it for me. WHY can't I get a straight answer out of
> him?
[snip]