[NTLK] Fwd: Re: NiZn batteries

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 27 02:24:00 EDT 2010

------ Original Message ------

> From: Smith Woody <woodysmith at me.com>
> Date: Tue, Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net <newtontalk at newtontalk.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] NiZn batteries
>
> wonder if there would be charger issues when the charger is expecting NiMH cells at 1.2 V
> Some folks are choosing to only charge externally as it is due to
> concerns about burning out something, don't recall but zinner diod seems to come to mind.

Well, the Wikipedia article says that you can't trickle charge them...else there could be a slow buildup of hydrogen, which it says would result in "adversely affecting [the] battery cycle life". And the idea of carefully watching the Newton's screen waiting for it to switch over from "fast charging" to "trickle charge continuous" sounds very tedious.

So, I guess external charging is the only way.

--Forrest
--
"Newton, come here...I need you." --Alexander MessagePad Bell
(Sent wirelessly from my NT MP2100 using Mail V)