[NTLK] Serial Port repair or replacement?

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Fri Oct 22 23:28:41 EDT 2010

Hi Lloyd and welcome if you are new to Newton Talk.

You can search the Archives for "interconnect port solder" and
variations to read some of the history on this concern.
I have followed the list for a few years and don't recall anyone who
has success at repairing this problem.

Fortunately if you use a Mac, you can get along without it for
everything except the keyboard with NCX.  Search ethernet.
Windows users and mac users can set up a web server to install
packages via web browser.
In addition to James' link you can also look at
<http://dev.newtontalk.net/dpadilla/minidin.htm>

If I couldn't return the unit I would consider installing a new logic
board.
see J&K sales.
<http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_37_273>

If anyone can re-solder the connector it would be Frank.  See his site
for disassembly instructions
<http://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html>

Woody