[NTLK] Next, please!

Eckhart Köppen lists at 40hz.org
Wed Nov 24 14:12:11 EST 2010

On 24. Nov, 2010, at 05:14, Andre Garzia wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I downloaded your SVN repo and I don't think I see
> NEWT/0 in the tntk repo. Do I need to build it separately? I also download
> NEWT/0 repo but I could not build it.

Right, NEWT/0 is a separate checkout from svn://so-kukan.com/gnue/NEWT0/trunk.

> Can you provide some simple build instructions?

It's a bit rudimentary, and only works on Linux or Mac OS X (possibly also using MSYS for WIndows).

- NEWT/0 is compiled using the usual "configure; make; make install" sequence
- cDCL from the n40hz SVN repo is built the same way
- tntk can be build using either CMake or also via the steps above

If you just want to play around with it and if you're using an Intel Mac, the compiled binary is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/n40hz/files/tntk/

> I am thinking about helping
> in the way I can which is provide a simple text editor which is able to
> build the project and run it inside Einstein or something similar if
> Einstein is applescriptable. Like a mini IDE.

That's what I'm doing right now, just using TextMake :) AppleScript support in Einstein is great, you can use it to install a package, and also to execute NewtonScript (which is needed to remove a package), e.g. like this:

tell application "Einstein"
	do newton script "SafeRemovePackage(GetPkgRef(\"PackageNameGoesHere\", GetStores()[0]))"
	install package "PackageNameGoesHere.pkg"
end tell

What's missing is simulating Inspector output from Einstein, but ViewFrame is actually not too bad, and you can debug apps directly in Einstein.

Eckhart