[NTLK] Grant, Grant, he's our man!

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 18:20:26 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/11/05 21:37, David Kendal at davidpk212 at gmail.com wrote ~~~

> On 5 Nov 2010, at 21:34, Lord Groundhog wrote:
>
>> ~~~ On 2010/11/05 20:55, Andrei Chichak at newton at chichak.ca wrote ~~~
>>
>>> Grant, Grant,
>>> He's our man!
>>> If he can't explain why arial is a lousy font for body text,
>>> No one can!
>>

>> If you can explain it for me, Grant, I'm all ears -- er, I mean, eyes.
>
> I'm not Grant, but most of the problem with Arial are summed up excellently
> here:
>
> http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html

Oddly, it doesn't actually explain why Arial makes my eyes bleed to look at
it.  Subjectively, I'm a calligrapher and that causes me to look at
lettering of any kind in a certain way, and it's true that I'm fussy at the
best of times.  But in many ways I look at letters from a different
perspective than a typesetter would, and Arial is one of the fonts that just
plain irritates me to look at.

I just hoped somebody could tell me why.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4