[NTLK] Using Newton - Simple Pleasures

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 1 15:39:00 EDT 2010

<snip>

I have seen rumors that the iPad will become available in two smaller sizes.  One is supposed to be 7".  If this
is true, and with Apple all is speculation, nevertheless, it would be about the same form factor as the Newton.  Albeit, much thinner.  If this happens, and IF handwriting recognition becomes as good as the Newton, we may all have our dreams come true.  Wouldn't that be incredible?  Color, portability, wifi, 3gs, and hwr.  Can you say "died and gone to heaven?"

I don't know that there will ever be a 7" iPad, after Steve's comments several weeks ago directed presumably toward the RIM (BlackBerry) tablet, which is reportedly about 7".

His comments generally were related to the resolution, size and usability of an iPad-like device of that size --"(It) isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps", he said.

In the next paragraph he makes it clear (without coming out and saying it) that there will be no stylii found included with any Mac tablets..."There are physical limits on how close uou can put elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think that 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

The entire transcript is found at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371054,00.asp  .

Thanks,
--Forrest
--
"Newton, come here...I need you." --Alexander MessagePad Bell
(Sent wirelessly from my NT MP2100 using Mail V)