[NTLK] Manybooks.net is interesting

Jim Lee jimlee at centurytel.net
Sat May 29 00:59:04 EDT 2010

On May 28, 2010, at 9:39 PM, Aaron Brigati wrote:

> I love my Newton, and it makes an acceptable e-book reader, but I
> can't figure why someone would say it's better than a modern,
> dedicated e-in device.

I was asking myself the same thing when I saw the original poster's message.  The Newton's contrast ratio is far too low for anything but the briefest of uses.  More than a few minutes of reading at a time and I have to put it down.  My Sony Reader (or any e-ink device) can be comfortably used for hours without eyestrain, or battery drain.  In no-light situations, I prefer Stanza on the iPod Touch because I can dial in the brightness level with a flick of the finger.  It's not simply on/off.  Display technology has come a long way over the past decade...

I love the Newton, indeed, but not as an e-book reader.

-Jim