[NTLK] Apple acknowledges Newton (sorta)

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Fri May 14 16:39:34 EDT 2010

On 14.05.2010, at 19:04, Sonny Hung wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:
>
>> It is not too difficult to do, but I have neither the time nor do I feel
>> like signing up to get an Apple iPad developer ID ($200)
>
> You know if there were a real interest I'm sure some of us would gladly
> financially support the development.

Thanks, but that's not a financial problem. I just wouldn't want to waste my (or your) money on something that nobody can use (unless they pay another $200 and compile themselves).

> which I need to develop Einstein, which then Apple will never allow in their
>> App Store (no emulators, no code not originally written in "C++" or
>> "Objective C", not to mention licensing issues with the ROM).
>>

> Yeah, BUT I would suggest that if it could be developed then it could or
> likely would be installed on a Jail Broken iPad - at the campus here where I
> work most if not half or more of the iPads are already jail broken by the IT
> staff from what I know and they use it untethered... I'd consider doing that
> myself when I get one.
>
> Hm...???

Well yes, that is a way. Still no iPads in Europe though, and the Newton would be unusable with the iPhone resolution. Ohm yeah, and I still have that silly day-time job ;-) . So let's leave it at a "maybe, when I can afford the time".

But maybe another developer can jump in?

- Matthias