[NTLK] OT: A Future That is a Singularity - Evolution

Bob Carls Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Wed Mar 31 09:16:15 EDT 2010

On 29/3/10, Jon Glass wrote:

>mathematics is solely the product of the human mind

which is a product of ____ ?

Everywhere one turns ones attention and analysis one finds phenomena
consistently demonstrating endless mathematical/geometric principles,
from a flying squirrel gauging how much to adjust its skin flaps in
flight toward its landing goal, to the unimaginably gradual shifting
of earth's axis over 25,000 years around the equinoctial circle.

Many modern human beings tend to avoid such contemplations because
they can't stand the idea there might be something in the universe
more intelligent and/or powerful than themselves.

Humans did not invent the laws of nature nor mathematical principles.
Rather their minds can learn to discover and understand such. Science
properly understood is the discipline of learning to know them. (Many
moderns don't know science is Latin for knowing.)

Kantian nihilism rules (unrecognized and unacknowledged like all
maximally pernicious tyrannies) but it has no basis in fact nor logic.

On 30/3/10, Andy Taylor wrote:

>Eugene Wigner "the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics"

Thanks Andy! Good stuff.

Here's the Wikipedia page:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unreasonable_Effectiveness_of_Mathematics_in_the_Natural_Sciences>

including this quote:

"miracles of laws of nature and of the human mind's capacity to divine them."

It's only a miracle to those who can't imagine how the mind can
connect with reality.

They can't get over the seeming paradox how the mind is a product of
reality, but with endless leeway to ignore that and every other
fact/reality.

Witness most Americans still hanging onto illusions of the false
prosperity of by far the greatest, most reckless debt binge / pyramid
scheme of all time since gold standard discarded, that transformed US
from world's greatest creditor of all time to the most bankrupt
empire ever.

Mathematics rules -- ignore it how we will.

Happy knowing!