[NTLK] OT - Representing the Newt

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Thu Mar 11 18:24:32 EST 2010

On Thursday, March 11, 2010, at 03:52PM, "SteveCraft" <steve at craftsathome.net> wrote:
>I was at a Google developer event, taking notes on my 2100, and during the
>opening pre-session keynote, the head dude recognized what I was doing and
>gave a shout-out to the Newton.

Great stuff, that...a few weeks ago I went into my local Apple store for a "Personal Shopping" appointment (I'm looking at an iPhone, but am hamstrung by my present carrier's $200 ETF until August)...I took along my MP2100 to take notes and you would have thought I brought an Apple I into the store...staff members drifted over to look at it. The girl staffer who sat across the table from where I was said she'd had an early Newton, she wasn't sure which...my Personal Shopper guy was in awe..."Wow...a Newton. Can I--can I touch it?"

Seriously.

"I've never seen one in person."

I went through all that it could do (except for internet because I hadn't brought along my wifi card). He asked me repeatedly, "Do you use this every day?" I replied that indeed I did, many times in one day.

He (carefully) held it up so the Genius Bar staffers could see it...there was a smattering of "ooohs" and thumbs-up displays...and even some mild applause.

I expected some snotty derision, snide remarks and "well, the iPad is better"...but I got none of that, only a sort of respectful admiration. They asked me if I would consider an iPad and what I'd like to see on it...I immediately replied "HWR--handwriting recognition". There was some general discussion about how with the stylus pen made for the iPhone, there'd probably be an app allowing that.

"If it had that, would you give up your Newton?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It has a certain charm and almost magic...you'd have to own one and use it all the time to really understand."

--Forrest