[NTLK] [OT] New Intel Classmate PC

reilly001os at aol.com reilly001os at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 13:37:25 EST 2010

Christian,
I don't know much about the inner workings of NOS myself but I would guess that adapting its ideas to the desktop would be easy and hard at the same time. On one hand full computers have way more resources and fewer power limits then the newts but on the other their hardware is built around a different paradigm that isn't always on, instantly available and extremely safe (in terms of data storage). With the newts being an evolving device under deadlines and media fire it'd make sense that the development team sometimes programmed in ways to make it work that weren't always "right" besides the fact that some "quick and dirty" short cuts may have been needed to accommodate the hardware limits. I think the ideas are workable on anything but the real limiting factor is apple and the fact that if anyone produces anything based on Newton ideas apple may call copyright or patent infringement. I think that for a new OS to be clear of apple fire it would have to be so far from the Newton base ideas that you'd lose the positives of said ideas, It'd also have to be so far from any other desktop OS that just making it play nice with other computers would be an issue ( not that I'd be sorry to see some of the useless bloated standardised crap disappear from my desktop OS, although osx does a good job of hiding the layers of legacy/standardised rubbish it still takes up space I want back! ).

Joe Reilly