[NTLK] MP2000 Screen

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Mon Mar 1 06:21:25 EST 2010

On 2/28/10, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:

>>screen..shows wear from on-screen keyboard, up, down and overview
>>buttons, close and routing buttons
>
>Sounds like you have/had a stylus that wasn't adequately smooth. A
>slight, virtually invisible nick one also can't feel by touching with
>finger can be enough to prematurely wear screen. When one sees screen
>wear, best to get a new stylus -- at least a new tip for replaceable
>ones. Far simpler and cheaper than replacing digitizer or Newt.

Most of the wear on my 'beater' Newton was there when I got it.  The
only spot that I may have added to it was from playing Solo DX, but the
other day I noticed that another fairly common package had a routinely
used 'button' to tap in the same spot.

I did buy a new 3rd-party stylus that fit into the silo, and also a
second Newton that came with a stylus (better-looking screen, but
unfortunately prone to 'jaggies').  The 3rd-party stylus, to my horror
at the time, tends to pick up dirt easily and 'snag' while writing.
While I try to keep my stylii scrupulously clean, I live in a house that
is about 40% heated with a wood stove.  No getting around the ash dust.
Hence using a NuShield.

I would also comment that the shape of the stylus body has a marked
effect on comfort of handwriting.  I found that the 3rd-party stylus
seemed to work OK for me, but the stock Newton stylus always leaves me
feeling like it is slipping out of my hand, and I am distracted enough
that my handwriting quality suffers.  My best handwriting is done with a
cheap 3-in-one pen/stylus with a higher quality stylus 'refill' that
rides in a pen loop on the outside of my flip-top leather play-thru
case.  The Cross stylus sounds like a good idea, but almost anything is
outside my budget right now.

 - Don