[NTLK] USB to Serial

Stephan Weber ashkelon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:43:51 EST 2010

I had interpreted his email to mean that, like me, he already owns one or
more of the newton-to-serial cable (of which I must have 10 laying around)
and needed a way to connect from the serial end of the Newton's cable to the
USB port on "newer" computers.

If this is the case, of course, then any appropriately gendered serial to
USB cable will serve. And these, or appropriate adapters are not always easy
to find in some big box stores, but I have found them at USB gear and DIT
(in many configurations).

You are correct, of course, if he is WHOLLY missing a transfer cable then he
will have to find either an adapter or a board such as you have created.

And he will most likely have to use one of the cycle throttles to slow the
processor transfer speed if he is cabling direct.

I've not used your board, but my development laptop has dual quad i7's and
I'm able to restrict the software to using one thread on one processor and
my transfers are pretty reliable. Windows does a really poor job supporting
threading.

Happy New Year all!

And to any in STL, I hope and pray for your safety and that of those you
love.

>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:39:47 +0100
>From: knowledge Navigator <knowledgenavigator at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] USB to Serial

Yes,

The only problem with all these adapters is that you still need another
adapter on the newton 2000 & 2100 to convert the interconnect port on to a
serial port to connect the adapter whereas the board newtonsales.com has
produced eliminates all adapters and plus directly into your computers USB
port with a USB cable.

Cheers,
Knowledgenavigator
www.newtonsales.com