[NTLK] wireless connectivity

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Aug 31 10:23:05 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:46 AM, PMichael Rodgers <pmiker at copper.net> wrote:
>  If I can turn off encryption just for the Newton, that would probably
> work.  I'll have to see if the security settings are across the board or
> by individual connection.

It's an all-or-nothing deal, so I'd leave the encryption on and go for
an ethernet connection.

> While networking is not my area of expertise, I am the guy who has to
> configure, install, trouble all the computer related stuff at work.
> PC's, printers, laptops, desktops, router and internet access.  Some of
> this I am good at, some, not so good but I get it done.  I also do my
> regular work.  I'm paid an extra $0.10 / hr to handle the IT.  (You get
> what you pay for!)

Been there. At least you mostly have free reign.

> Hmmm.  I'm trying to remember what I once knew about ethernet.  We
> have 3 pc's, 2 laptops and a printer connected via wireless to the
> router.  The router is up front in an inconvient location.  Where would
> I connect the ethernet card to if I had one?  To a PC or the router?
> The router is out of the question.  Way too inconvenient.

You'd need to connect the ethernet to the router.

One alternative that a couple people here use is a wireless ethernet
bridge and would be ideal for this situation. Essentially, it's a
reverse WiFi access point. It's a little box w/an ethernet port & WiFi
and you connect it to a computer, use the web interface to connect it
to your WiFi network, then you can unplug the computer from it and
plug the Newton into it via ethernet. These come in flavors supporting
all of the 802.11a/b/g/n protocols as well as WEP, WPA, and WPA2
encryption methods.

So, I'd suggest a PCMCIA ethernet card and a wireless ethernet bridge.

Morgan
---
http://www.makkintosshu.com/
http://rikuwoiku.com/