[NTLK] how to ID 2000-->2100 upgrade ROM board?

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 00:21:37 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Michael Grossman <ceratoph at sdf.lonestar.org
> wrote:

> I recently bought a Newton messagepad 2000 with a broken screen and
> corroded batteries because it had a MP2100 sticker on it.  I have read in
> this list that the upgrade is just putting a different board into the
> 2000.  So I figured I could pull it and swap it into my working MP2000.

Hi Michael,

I just happen to get home and see this thread.
Thought I'd stick my nose it and say that there is a way to see if you have
a MP2000 MLB or a MP2100 (also the same as a MP2000u; an upgraded MP2000
MLB)

Here is a link to a photo that will clearly show you a MP2000u MLB as it is
denoted with a Orange Circle Sticker on the ARM Processor. (MP2100 MLB does
not have the Orange Circle Sticker)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/407346801/

As you will notice underneath the ROM Board Socket as I call it you will see
two Memory Chips soldered down. You will notice that they are silk screened
U13 & U21 respectively from top to bottom if you have the MLB orientated
with the IR on the top left and the battery compartment on the bottom. These
are the Memory Pad for the 8MB Flash where as U12 & U20 Memory Pads which
are situated parallel to the left when populated total 4MB iirc.
Just hover over the notes I've already marked off for the photograph.

I just pulled an example of the MP2000 & MP2100 MLBs to compare.

Oh, U13 & U21 Memory Pads on a MP2000 are Gold Contacts. On the MP2000u U12
& U20 look like they are Silver Contacts.
It's a relatively easy upgrade if you plan to do it. And you just need to
follow the instructions Frank provides or even the iFixIt Instruction up to
Step #21.

HTH.

God bless,

Sonny Hung