[NTLK] ATA driver questions

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Tue Apr 27 01:32:00 EDT 2010

On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 7:02 pm Leo Titus LeBron V wrote:

> Hi guys. My adventures with my newtons
> are on hold until I can get another
> emate, and possibly a 2100

Does that mean we should wait to answer your questions?

> I also need another wireless router

I was going suggest that, well maybe...

> bridge device .. turn the wireless
> router I have now back into a router
> from it's current bridging duties)

oooh! Talk to me. Yeah! Love that network speak!
.
> However, the lowly wavelans can't do
> anything past WEP,

Have a second WAP (Wireless Access Point) that you turn on/off on demand. Or, Isolate it on its own net and keep it on WEP always. Keep WPA2 for your secure part of your network.

> at my local biglots,
> they have some bloody cheap
> compact flash cards.

"bloody cheap" is not what you want. "bloody" fast is...

My experience with ATA and CF and PCMCIA adapters had me settle on a 2GB PQI 155x Ultra DMA CF with CFII adapter. 99.9% stable and the fastest I've seen ATA behave.

I've tried many combinations and sizes including Ultra DMA 4GB SanDisks.

> but there are some CFs left. They are
> Kingston 4gb compact flash cards, for
> $4 each

Remember... Speed, stability. Not... s¡ze.

But at that price...

> My question is will these work with the
> ATA driver?

In theory yes. Only live testing will say.

(snip)
--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM