[NTLK] O.T. AppleWorks vs. iWork

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 11:40:25 EDT 2010

On 18/04/10 06:03PDT, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:

 > But OS 9 provides lots more options for connecting. (Another of many
 > ways Apple devolved under Jobs -- I admit not entirely: protected
 > memory is nice, and iWorks is better than AppleWorks in many ways.

I have to disagree. AW is much better than iWork for the following reasons:

AppleWorks is an INTEGRATED application of 6 modules:

word processor, spreadsheet, database, drawing, painting, presentation

iWork is a suite of 3 standalone applications:

word processor, spreadsheet, presentation.

I use AW all the time, but I have not yet been able to use any of the
iWork applications easily; it is always a struggle to figure out how to
do something in them. Admittedly I've been using AppleWorks since 1984
so I should probably wait another 26 years to see how I am using the
iWork applications.

But to get back to the present, iWork is in dire need of, at the
minimum, a database application. Next it must be rewritten so that only
ONE application is installed on the computer, iWork, while the current
Pages, Numbers, Keynote and the future database (named Database?)
applications are tightly INTEGRATED as is done in AppleWorks.

But until then iWork cannot be considered a complete replacement for
AppleWorks. At best it can be considered a replacement for MS Office
which it resembles in it's construction, though it is missing
equivalents to the database and mail applications that are in Office.

Also, remember that AppleWorks was the inspiration for the Newton OS
TapWorks and its follow-on applications.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

Newton MP 2100