[NTLK] OT: iPad vs. MS Courier: Sound Off

Jim Lee jimlee at centurytel.net
Thu Apr 8 01:42:21 EDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:40 PM, Ryan wrote:

>  In one landmark study, circuitry was implanted inside the neurons
> of the brain of the subject.

   Do you *really* want to undergo major brain surgery just for the
convenience of gross motor control?

>  Further, researchers have demonstrated thought-to-text.  It's only
> up to 15 words per minute, but it's impressive.

   I would love to see some documented evidence of this (again,
*without* resorting to major brain surgery)...

> Then you have companies out there working on wearable computer
> glasses that display a transparent screen in front of the subject,
> where scrolling works by retinal tracking.

   Now this is something useful, but it's not anywhere near "augmented
cognition".  It is simply external motion sensing.

> But if you put all this stuff together, you can see where this could
> go... a world that is completely controlled just by thoughts.

   Thanks for the pointers, Ryan.  I'll check out those studies, but I
still believe that "cognition" of the human brain is un-interfaceable...

-Jim