[NTLK] OT: iPad vs. MS Courier: Sound Off

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 21:14:23 EDT 2010

As much as I am not a fan of the iPad, I must admit that the weight issue is
a bit forced. My objection to the iPad is cost vs. benefit but I'm not going
to go into that I'm going to comment on the weight issue. Holding anything,
even an empty hand out in front of you for any length of time is fatiguing.
The other day I went to give blood. I was doing what they cal a double red.
In a double red they remove two pints of blood, remove all of the red blood
cells and then put one pint of what's left over back. As you can imagine,
this takes awhile, about an hour once you are all hooked up. So I took a
Palm Tungsten T with me to read. Now this is a very light device but after
about 20 minutes of lying on my back holding it above my face it felt like a
100 pound barbell. I don't know what my 2100 weighs, more than my Palm and
less than my laptop. And when I read, I prop my arm up on something, even if
it is my rather substantial mid section. I can do this when sitting in a
chair, or on a plane, or in a car but not laying on my back with tubes in my
arm. I think the iPad weight issue will blow over as people adapt to its
form. One last comment, how many of you are former Franklin Planner or Day
Runner devotees? What did those suckers weigh? And we carried them
faithfully.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Steven Goldberg wrote:
<snip>
I plan on using mine like I hold a book or magazine, or flat on a table - or
similar surface.
<Snip>