[NTLK] (OT) re: Courier

Robert Zimmerman bob_zimmerman at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 7 11:17:58 EDT 2010

Many of your proposed modifications are infeasible.

There isn't anywhere you can "shave off" half a pound.  The overwhelming majority of the weight is in the structure of the device.  .5 pounds is about 226 grams.  The battery is 148 grams with its casing.  The aluminum body is 138 grams.  Can't cut weight there without affecting the integrity of the device.  Everything else in the body combined is about 64 grams.  The LCD is 153 grams and the front glass protecting it is 193 grams.  The LCD's weight can't really be reduced, and the glass weight can only be reduced by switching away from glass.  There simply isn't that much weight to spare.

I agree that a ring of rubber around the back would be good, but I don't find it slippery at all.  I've never had a problem holding on to my phone either and I've never dropped an iPod (though one has taken a dive when I bent down and forgot it was in my breast pocket).  Maybe I just have gecko fingers.

A matte finish on a touchscreen you're supposed to use with your fingers would blur the display substantially.  The finish would have to be similar to the finish on the glass trackpads in the unibody laptops.  With the distance between the finish and the display itself, you would get blur and halos which would make the display look terrible.  It would also necessitate the glass being slightly thicker and therefore heavier.

If they could drop the prices, I would agree that they should drop the 16 GB model.  For now, I think it is important that they have one at $500.  It's sort of a psychological thing.

As for touch-sensitive regions on the back, that might be useful, but I suspect it would just be confusing for most people.  There is very little in these devices that feels like "That's just the way it is" rather than "That's the way it should be".  I think rear touch-sensitive surfaces and other exotic control mechanisms like that would move it away from the latter and back into the former.  At that point, how is it better than a desktop where so much is unintuitive because of bad design decisions made twenty years ago?

--

 Robert Zimmerman