[NTLK] The iPad is great, but...

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Tue Apr 6 18:45:58 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, April 06, 2010, at 10:18AM, "robinson pereira" <gaudo1196 at gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree. "None of them, however, does the whole thing"

I just received this story today...check this out:

This could be what I call the "Tipping Point"...the small fact, event or bit of information that can change the perspective on making a decision. With this mobile hotspot ("MiFi") suddenly the 3G iPad looks overpriced. I've mentioned before that I'm using wifi at home and that I've got a broadband PC card for my Mac when I leave for the Outside World. I've also said this before: this device would a) eliminate use of the broadband PC card, which was never "officially" supported by either Apple or Sprint (although it worked just fine) in favor of this device...and b) then allow the purchase of the less expensive wifi iPad model. I could connect either or both things through this MiFi--though probably not at the same time--and have internet access just about anywhere.

The question is: is there a GB cap on it? Verizon's has a 5GB cap PER MONTH...I can go through 5G in a WEEK or less, depending on the circumstances. It's unclear if the Sprint version has a cap, or not--the website doesn't mention one. Presently I have unlimited data usage on the broadband card (although the newer models also have the 5GB cap). I'm going to call Sprint about that, probably later today.

It does have a three hour battery lifespan--less if you have more things connected. The AlBook that I use primarily has a two-hour battery life...so I wouldn't be using the mifi after that anyway...as for the iPad...well, do what you have to do online first, within that 2-hour window. After that--no internet (you can't access the internet while it's plugged in and charging).

So far..this looks like this could work for me. But again, not all things to all people.

Thanks,
--Forrest