Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: speed: OS X's fault

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 15:28:23 EDT

On 26/9/09, Steven Scotten wrote:

>I hope as much of it as possible is active memory

Memory stats should give indirect idea whether it's active or not.
Compare inactive and active totals with how much real memory Activity
Monitor reports for PhotoShop. Should be able to figure out if other
processes account for most of inactive or not. Maybe there's some
program that breaks down which process is using what sort.

>When I upgraded from 10GB to 32GB performance increase on an 18 and
>a half minute operation about twenty seconds

Obviously the extra RAM didn't make a significant difference.

Even though swapping is on, I definitely have much zippier machine
with MemTools freeing RAM as needed. Can't imagine you wouldn't see
big boost via some such method -- I'm presuming MemTools just runs
purge.

I still haven't re-booted since discovering swap is on -- when I can
reboot I'll find out if swapping got turned on when RAM got full.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Good luck!