Re: [NTLK] Good PCMCIA Cards?

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sun Sep 27 2009 - 15:38:35 EDT

> Can anyone point me to large "known good" brands
> or a list of items currently on eBay that I can use?
> 4mb is just not enough storage.

I have a couple of used Intel Linear Flash 20MB cards left that I could live without. They are 12
EUR apiece plus what my post office lady charges for stamps. They have previously been used in
cardiac pacemakers, so it is unlikely that they have seen more than 1 or 2 write cycles.

Whatever you buy, make sure you don't buy a card that has previously been used in a router. Due to
the immense number of write cycles these cards are often near or beyond the end of safe operation,
caused by the fact that after a certain number of write cycles Flash cards become unreliable. You
will never get even close to that number with normal use in a Newton, but stay away from cards that
have been used in routers.

Frank