Re: [NTLK] Blasting Apple [WAS: "Re: How would I find my Newtons serial number"]

From: Joseph Reilly <reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Sep 22 2009 - 03:06:11 EDT

On Sep 21, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> [To continue your session and to receive future sessions, go to my
> website
> and when prompted, insert your personal data and credit card details
> in the
> appropriate spaces and tick the box which states that you will
> refrain from
> suing me.]
>
> :-D

HAHAHAHA, I'll enter my credit card but it wont get you very far :-D

> I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you talk about things
> "we" want,
> you're really talking about a particular "we" that is just one of many
> subsets of all the Apple product users who are dissatisfied about
> something,
> and all these subsets unfortunately are called "we". But it seems
> that
> there isn't any one subset big enough to get the attention of Jobs &
> co in
> any constructive way.

I've heard most of those gripes on this list at one point or another
which is why I
used "we", I didn't actually think anyone would agree with ALL those
gripes.
Although I personally have a gripe with all the products on that list
to some degree, it was meant
to be somewhat "tongue in cheek" (see the excessive use of ! and Epic
Fail!) based on the
compliants I've heard here (and elsewhere in the mac world). The end
was a more serious expression
of my frustration with apples current tact, especially considering MS
now seems to be listening to
average consumers more instead of (IMHO) just enterprise consumers.

> I can't say I agree with all of Dennis' response since I don't think
> you're
> talking simply about the current campaign of M$ propaganda,

I don't really see much propaganda, my dvr takes care of that :-) I
just look at products/features mostly and sometimes read reviews.

> but certainly
> his point about ATT is valid, as demonstrated by Apple's plans to
> unlock the
> iPhone in other countries.
> While so many US companies insist on CDMA
> mobiles, this was the best solution though I hope they'll open up to
> other
> GSM providers there SOON.

I think the att lock-in had more to do with control, access, and
profit sharing, but to each his own (opinion).
Wasn't apple forced to unlock the iphone in european countries? I do
however agree GSM is the way to go,
  usa or international... sim switching is so much easier then calling
the carrier company :-D also I hope they
unlock the iphone soon too, then (IMHO) they will see improved iphone
sales and can stop hamstringing the
itouch as I think they will see both selling by the truck load
especially if they improve the itouch/unlock iphone.

> But some of your points are just a matter of
> taste? I agree that an iPod with no buttons is ludicrous (IMO,
> ditto an
> iPod that "talks to you" -- if I had one I'd be reaching for the
> lump-hammer), but if there are people who actually like that sort of
> thing
> enough to wast-- I mean, spend -- money on it, then I guess those
> monstrosities are OK.

I think it also has to do with greed since doesn't the controller
headphones have to have a chip from apple in them?
or a license from apple to make said chip? either way my previous gen
shuffle works with any headphones lol
although I really loved the first gen shuffle with the built in usb
plug, i miss those ones (i lost my first 1G and killed the second
1G) :-(

> (IMO, ditto an
> iPod that "talks to you" -- if I had one I'd be reaching for the
> lump-hammer),

hahaha, add some dents where the controls should be :-D
I don't mind the talking to me part but the ipod is going to have to
shout over the other voices (in my head) LOL
I just want to be able to control it with any headphones I can get my
paws on, not just special controller headphones.

> For example, your complaint about Leopard not being
> backward compatible with G5s -- I doubt very much that it would be
> doable
> without losing some of the features that make Leopard worth having
> on an
> Intel machine. FWIW, my Pismos are all smiling on Tiger, and my Intel
> machine is always there when I really want to play with a Leopard.

As Dennis said it was snow leopard i was talking about. I just think
its silly to cut out those users so soon (although i guess it has been
4 years)
just like I thought it was silly to cut out a lot of the early G4's
with leopard but I think leopard had more to do with the fact that early
powerbook G4 units had under powered graphics (for leopard) versus the
G4's actually being too slow since many people have
installed leopard on slower G4's with success. I really would've liked
leopard for G3's but thats just me being sentimental (i love my ibook)
and cheap (evil money, i must keep you locked up in the bank!). I'm
not sure cutting ppc support totally is all about the features but
it's surely
part of it, the other part is probably the huge size slim down that
snow leopard is getting thanks to cutting all the ppc code.
Only intel 'mac' i run is an acer aspire one (slow ssd could be
faster, but I love the size and the keyboard is comparable to my ibook
so I'm happy)
for learning iphone dev so the community will sort 10.6 out eventually
after which I'll buy my $50 family pack license then
promptly violate it by installing a hackintosh dvd image (paid for a
10.5 license just to hackintosh it too, i'm kinda honest like that).

> I'd personally add that by now iTunes and the iPod ought to
> accommodate at
> least one genuinely lossless and genuinely universal codec, like ogg
> or
> flac, but they don't. Who can take either product seriously till
> they do?
> I can't and many others I know can't, but obviously there's a vast
> marketful
> of folks out there who are willing to limit themselves to mp3s and
> aacs and
> the like. Yecch! But I bet I'm one of the few people who actually
> care
> about that.

I never really thought much about this but I'm not an audiophile, your
like my brother :-P
I do most of my ipod listening at work (noisy shop) or when exercising
(running) so those aren't
really audiophile listening environments either. I do remember
hearing about how you could install
ogg (and i think flac) codecs in itunes, but I guess that doesn't help
the ipod much and that was
awhile ago so I don't know if it still works with current itunes
releases.
What DAP/software do you like?

> The point that was made (by James Fraser?) some weeks ago, centring
> on the
> change from "Apple Computers" to "Apple Inc" is illuminating in this
> regard
> (sad to say).

Yes it didn't hit me at first but after the apple event and this trip
down the memory lane of apples
more recent products it is sinking in. I'll just hold out with my
newton, 1g itouch, ppc's and 10.4/5....
if you need me I'll be in my underground bunker thats fully stocked
for the apocolypse
wearing my tin foil hat :-D but I'm keeping my blackberry, forget the
cancer, its how i get most my email
and also why most of my newtontalk posts have no paragraphs ;-/

Joe Reilly