Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: "My Browser's Better'n Your Browser"

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 21:00:57 EDT

On 9/18/09, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:

>On 18/9/09, Ed Kummel wrote:
>|
>>http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
>>and download the hosts file there
>>As long as you're using an OS that uses a hosts file
>
>Haven't a clue, but I take it this is a PC fix

I used to use this approach in Mac OS 9, until I discovered iCab.

It will work in Mac OS X 10.4.11 (and later?), but the hosts file is
pretty well buried. In my Pismo, it's at /private/etc/hosts

>>comment out lines for a site you wish to go to
>
>Rather than have to add each of lotsa sites I want, I'd rather add
>wildcards to cover lotsa URLs I don't want -- and I've needed to do
>that only couple times with iCab.
>
>>edit the restricted URLs to reject any URL with the word ad, or ads
>>or doubleclick or like that
>
>iCab already takes care of those plus dozens of other ad addresses,
>and it's easier/safer to edit/add filters than data list.

Opera has a 'Block Content' contextual menu item, which allows you to
select elements on a page to be blocked. You can then edit the
individual line items under Tools/Advanced/Blocked Content to make wild
cards, or manually add things yourself. It also has a page-specific
content manager, which allows you to fine-tune things. Not quite as
geeky as iCab, but IMHO harder to ferret out at first, as you have to
look in several different places to grasp the whole thing.

That said, I also like iCab's approach. It was my main browser up until
this summer, when I tried Opera 10 and found that it is much, much
quicker on my Pismo than iCab, and uses a less memory over time. Every
once in awhile, I go back to iCab and try to solve my speed problem,
which seems to involve iCab's private cookie storage, perhaps combined
with javascript. It's probably insignificant or unnoticeable on more
current systems.

>I assume hostfile fix works for all browsers, which is nice.

Yep.

To close, I personally have never warmed up to Camino, although it is
speedy and trouble free in my experience. I've suggested it to my
family members, and My Lady Technophobe gets along with it very nicely,
as does #4 Son.

 - Don